Using the CAD Configuration Manager
The CAD Configuration Manager allows you to configure geometry interfaces for Mechanical APDL and ANSYS Workbench. CAD configuration is typically handled during the product installation; however, if you chose to skip those steps, or if you make changes to your local CAD configuration between releases (for example, you install, move, or update your CAD package, or remove it entirely), you can use this utility.
The CAD Configuration Manager is organized into several tabs:
- CAD Selection
- Creo Parametric
- Teamcenter (active on Windows only)
- CAD Configuration
This document describes how to use the CAD Configuration Manager as a wizard, beginning with the CAD Selection tab and using the Next button to progress through the configuration process. You can also manually select each tab to progress through the configuration process; both methods work the same. However, the applicable tabs will not be enabled until you choose the associated product on the CAD Selection tab.
- From Windows 7, click Start > All Programs > ANSYS 16.2 > Utilities > CAD Configuration Manager 16.2. From Windows 8.1, right-click the Start Screen> All apps> ANSYS 16.2> CAD Configuration Manager 16.2.
- On the CAD Selection tab, choose the CAD products that you need to configure. Click Next.
- If you did not select any CAD interfaces the necessary prerequisites will be registered, enabling Geometry (DesignModeler). You must run the CAD Configuration Manager as an administrative user for some CAD registrations to take place. Select the CAD Configuration tab and click Configure Selected CAD Interfaces to register the prerequisites.
- If you selected Creo Parametric as one of your CAD products, you will have to choose which Creo Parametric product to configure:
- The Reader option specifies the non-associative source and doesn’t require a Creo Parametric installation. (This reader does not support CAD associativity or parameters.)
- The Workbench Associative Plug-In option requires Creo Parametric to be installed. When you choose this option, the Creo Parametric tab opens.
- Enter or browse to the Creo Parametric installation location (for example, C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Parametric).
- Enter or browse to the Creo Parametric start command (for example, C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.bat). Include the complete path if entering the command manually.
- Click Next.
- If you selected NX as one of your CAD products, you will have to choose which NX product to configure:
- The Reader option specifies the non-associative source and doesn’t require an NX installation. (This reader does not support CAD associativity or parameters.)
- The Workbench Associative Plug-In option requires NX to be installed. When you choose this option, the NX tab opens.
- Enter or browse to the NX installation location (for example, C:\Program Files\Siemens\NX 8.5).
- Enter or browse to the NX custom directory file path (for example, C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\ANSYS\v162\Unigraphics).Note: If you are installing as an administrator, this file path will be defined in your administrator’s user space by default and non-administrative users will not be able to run. Use this setting to specify a new location for the custom directory file path that is accessible by all users.
- Click Next.
- If you selected Inventor and/or SolidWorks as one of your CAD products, you will have to choose which Inventor and/or SolidWorks product to configure:
- The Reader option specifies the non-associative source and doesn’t require an Inventor or SolidWorks installation. (This reader does not support CAD associativity or parameters.)
- The Workbench Associative Plug-In option requires Inventor or SolidWorks to be installed.
- If SpaceClaim Engineer is installed, you will have to choose to configure the ANSYS Workbench Plug-In for either SpaceClaim Direct Modeler or SpaceClaim Engineer. Otherwise you are limited to configuring the SpaceClaim Direct Modeler Plug-In.
- If you selected Teamcenter as one of your CAD products, the Teamcenter tab opens:
- Enter or browse to the Teamcenter installation location (for example, C:\SIEMENS\Teamcenter2008).
- Discriminator is a client-defined identifier for a session. For example, ANSYSWBPlugInTC.
- Choose Next.
- If you selected Catia V5 as one of your CAD products, you will have the option to choose which CATIA V5 product to configure.
- Select the Reader option to configure the CATIA V5 standalone reader that does not require an installation of the CATIA V5 CAD program. (This reader does not support CAD associativity or parameters.)
- Select the CADNexus/CAPRI CAE Gateway option to configure the CATIA V5 associative reader that does require an installation of the CATIA V5 CAD program and the CADNexus/CAPRI CAE Gateway (this geometry interface does support CAD associativity and parameter modifications).
- Click Next.
- The CAD Configuration tab opens.
- Click the Configure Selected CAD Interfaces button.
- When the configuration for all products is complete, log entries appear, listing those products that were successfully configured and those that were not. Address any errors and reconfigure.
- For more details, click the Display Configuration Log File button to see a detailed log file.
- When all of your CAD products have been successfully configured, click Exit.
You can review the CAD Configuration Manager log file, CADConfigurationMgr.log, in \ANSYS Inc.
Important: If you change your source from reader to associative plug-in or vice-versa (Creo Parametric, NX, SolidWorks, Autodesk Inventor, or Catia V5), you must first unconfigure the existing source and then configure using the new source.
If you need to unconfigure any of your CAD products, follow the steps above, but choose Unconfigure Selected CAD Interfaces on the CAD Configuration tab.
8.1.2. Running the CAD Configuration Manager in Batch Mode
You can configure ANSYS Geometry Interfaces by supplying the CAD Configuration Manager with arguments specific to the CAD sources you want to make available. The following table contains a list of supported arguments.
The command to run the CAD Configuration Manager in batch mode on Windows is:
|UNCONFIGURE_SPECIFIED||None||Results in any specified CAD sources being unconfigured. When this flag is absent, the CAD Configuration Manager will attempt to configure all designated CAD sources.|
|UNCONFIGURE||None||Results in all CAD sources being disabled along with prerequisite libraries.|
|Either: PE_CONFIG_WB or PE_CONFIG_WBSPATIAL||None||Specify Creo Parametric source as either the associative plug-in or the reader (Spatial, no Creo Parametric install required). When the plug-in is specified, additional arguments PROELOADPOINT and PROE_START_CMD are required.|
|PROELOADPOINT||Full path to Creo Parametric installation (quotes required on Windows).||Not required with unconfigure operation.|
|PROE_START_CMD||Full path to command used to launch Creo Parametric (quotes required on Windows)||Not required with unconfigure operation.|
|Either: UG_CONFIG_WB or UG_CONFIG_WBSPATIAL||None||Specify NX source as either the associative plug-in or the reader (Spatial, no NX install required). When the plug-in is specified, the argument UGII_BASE_DIR must also be specified.|
|UGII_BASE_DIR||Full path to NX installation||This should agree with environment variable UGII_BASE_DIR. Not required with unconfigure operation.|
|Either: CATIA_SPATIAL or CATIA_CAPRI||None||Specify Catia V5 source as either the Reader (Spatial, no Catia install required) or CAPRI (CADNexus install required).|
|OSDM_CONFIG||None||Configure/unconfigure Creo Elements/Direct Modeling.|
|Either: INVENTOR_CONFIG or INVENTOR_CONFIG_WBSPATIAL||None||Specify Inventor source as either the associative plug-in or the reader (Spatial, no Inventor install required).|
|Either: SOLIDWORKS_CONFIG or SW_CONFIG_WBSPATIAL||None||Specify SolidWorks source as either the associative plug-in or the reader (Spatial, no SolidWorks install required).|
|SOLIDEDGE_CONFIG||None||Configure/unconfigure Solid Edge.|
|TEAMCENTER_CONFIG||None||Configure/unconfigure Teamcenter; for configuration requiresTC_ROOT flag.|
|IMAN_ROOT||Path to Teamcenter installation.||Not required with unconfiguration operation.|
|CATIA4_CONFIG||None||Configure/unconfigure CATIA v4.|
Note: All arguments require a dash (-) before them in order to be properly recognized by the CAD Configuration Manager. Arguments’ values should not have a dash preceding them.
For example, you can configure Creo Parametric and SolidWorks Geometry Interfaces to ANSYS Workbench from the command line by using the following:
installpath>\commonfiles\CAD\bin\winx64\Ans.CadInt.CADConfigurationUtility.exe" -SW_CONFIG -PE_CONFIG_WB -PROELOADPOINT "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Parametric" -PROE_START_CMD "C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Parametric\bin\parametric.bat"
installpath is the same as the value of environment variable %AWP_ROOT162%,
platform is the value of environment variable %ANSYS_SYSDIR%, and Creo Parametric is installed to C:\Program Files\PTC\Creo 2.0\Parametric.
To unconfigure the same CAD Interfaces, the command would be:
installpath>\commonfiles\CAD\bin\winx64\Ans.CadInt.CADConfigurationUtility.exe" -unconfigure -SW_CONFIG -PE_CONFIG_WB
Although the argument order does not matter, an argument value must immediately follow its argument.